What's a Blog?

My new and improved Bloggular Device. For the future.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

[f x g](x), not [f o g](x)

So I've discovered that there is a very fine line between understanding math, and pretending to understanding math. Its the difference between a dot and a circle.

I used to think that I was good at math. That was in the days of Mr. Wong. Then I entered the 10th grade, and got Brown for a teacher. Now, those of you who don't know Mrs. Brown, let me put it this way. You are better off for not knowing her. She sucks the intellegence right out of you. I find myself in Pre Calc/Trig, and I pretend to know whats going on, when in reality, I haven't got a clue. Somewhere in my brain, I know how to do a problem. Somehow, I really do understand the math. Yet somehow, things like my title pop up, and I spend 20 minutes factoring a trinomial cubed, when all I had to do was times the two freaking equations together. [f x g](x), not [f o g](x) Helloooo Kyle. Its right there in front of you get a grip.

Now, if it werent for the crowning moment in math that I experience just a few minutes ago, I would have given up math by now. But now, I pulled through. The year wasted with Brown suddenly didnt matter. Somewhere in my mind, I remembered Wong and his glory. I was faced with the problem of solving 2 equations that each had 2 variables. For a brief moment I was confused, but in a flash, I remembered the days in 9th grade where substituting and canceling variables was common. I did it. I solved for x and for y, and I solved the problem. I did it quite effortlessly, and it was grood all around.
I was afraid that coming back into a new year, I had forgotten everything I once knew about math, as well as physics. I had been completely lost with both subjects, but tonight, I found myself again. I did my physics; I understood it. I had help from Thatcher to make sure I was diong it right, but I understand it now. I'm pretty amazed at that fact.

So the moral of hte story is: math and physics is like riding a bike. You might not ride it for ages, but when you get back on...you fall off. Yep, you fall off. I dont care what people say, you dont remember how to do it. You fall right on your butt. You remain on your butt until you suddenly remember Wong and his glory, yes his glory. You remain on your butt until somewhere in your mind, your knowlege finds its way back to you in the form of canceling variables.

So, my messages for you are: 1) dont stop riding your bike. It takes a while to learn how to do it again. 2) Wong really was glorious. That is all.

1 Comments:

At 3:33 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

haha. :D i figured that math problem out too. :D i was so proud of myself. it's amazing. ugh, speaking of math...i gotta go finish my homework. see ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home