What's a Blog?

My new and improved Bloggular Device. For the future.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

What has my life become?

I remember back in the day when I couldn't sleep at night because my mind was running wild with the exciting events of the day. One of the biggest things that ran though my mind was the game Super Smash Brothers on N64. The first day I got that game, I played it for hours with my buddy Rick, and by the time I went to bed, thats all I could think about. I would run various techniques through my mind; how to dodge, when not to jump, best attacks, what to do in certain circumstances. I have played that game so much since then, that I cant even begin to imagine how many total days I have spent just playing that one game.

So it was. A big part of my life was Smash. That is until I found a love for Zelda. It was the same thing with that game, for quite a long time. By ninth grade, the next big thing was Warcraft. (As you can see, I really did grow up with video games. My 4 older sisters and lack of brothers are to blame for that.) I loved the game, and every day of my life held something related to Warcraft in it. Warcraft slowly merged into DotA, which was possibly the biggest reason for lack of sleep in my life. (For all of you out there who are considering taking up DotA, dont do it!) Around the same time, swim begame a big part of my life. I would go to bed just thinking of a perfect breastroke kick. In fact, I would often find myself practicing that stroke as I lay in bed.

And so it was for a long time. The swimming died out fairly quickly once the season ended last year, but the DotA phase didnt end until the middle of this last summer. Christopher and I both vouched not to ever play the game again (or at least a whole lot less than we were).

So at the beginning of this school year, I didn't really have a foundation in any one great thing. I had nothing to mull over in my head while I tried to sleep. I didn't find myself running the various strategies, heros, and items of DotA through my head, or telling myself that I would one day be good at the game by making the best of those things.

And now here I am, telling you about all of this, for what? My post title implies that my life has indeed become something now, but what is it this time? Another video game? Another stroke? No, my friends. This time, its something far more grand. This time, I am kept awake at night to thoughts of something far more useful, healthy, and long-term. Something raging beyond beleif. Something with so much potential, it blows my mind to think of the possabilities. My new love, my new life, has become Ultimate Frisbee.

Thanks to Christopher's generosity, I have been carrying a battered, yet truly ultimate Frisbee with me in my backpack at all times this last week or so. Because of this selfless act of charity, I have been able to throw that Frisbee at every lunch since then. I have tossed it around with numerous friends on even more numerous occasions beyond these lunchtime expeditions. I have found myself wanting it at nearly every moment. I find myself completely awake and happy while holding a Frisbee, and what's more, completely alert and entusiastic when I'm actually throwing and catching it.

My new-found love may seem like an addiction to some. It may seem like Frisbee is beginning to drag me down to the point where nothing else matters. On the contrary: the great feeling Frisbee gives me makes me want to do well in every other aspect of my life. Schoolwork seems more important, chores seem more necessary, and overal, life is a lot more exciting. I am getting in better shape because of the Ultimate sport, I am devoting myself more to something that is worthwhile (unlike mindless video games), and I'm even becoming better friends with many people through the sport.

Now some of you are thinking that Frisbee has become a religion to me, I'm sure. No worries, friends. I'm still Kyle. I still have my own thoughts and beleifs. I'm just diven by something now. This sport is even making me want to be more devoted to my religion as well, giving me something to live on, something to push me along.

Frisbee is all-around Ultimate. There is no denying that fact. Every aspect of it is amazing, and it is my hope that others can find this same joy. This future Frisbee club shall be a great thing for a lot of people, you'll see. Even if its not a success, which I doubt could happen, it shall never be a failure. with the friends we have and with the talent and love they have for it, this sport can't fail. Spirit bar fully charged!

4 Comments:

At 7:00 PM , Blogger CJThatcher said...

Go kyle go. Welcome to our secret club of frisbee acolytes. It's a pretty cool club if I say so myself. And I'm glad you're pumped. I'm sure pumped.

Now quick, summon me a ziggaraut, I'm out of food.

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger Combat Kyle said...

Hahahaha, oh man...ziggaraut. That's some funny business. Good work. Its funny...cus they give you food. Yeah, that.

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

wow. lol. you guys make me laugh. i really like watching you play frisbee. :D and i'm glad you like it so much. that makes me happy. :D

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Jaron Frost said...

I know what you mean... I remember the good old days when I would spend hours before bed playing a game, and then Mom'd come downstairs and yell at me to turn it off, and I'd reluctantly go to bed and think about what I'd done and what I still had left to do, what could possibly be in store... And it's got me thinking. I don't really have a passion, a dedication, right now. I really should get one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home