What's a Blog?

My new and improved Bloggular Device. For the future.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Day 9-Close to Home

Honestly folks, what to write about? Oh, okay, I've got it. Okay, in the book, one of the main characters is a teacher. He classroom is just her adopted daughters' bedroom, converted during the day to fit the class' needs. The only books that she has are old copies of reading and arithmetic books. She teaches children from the age of about 16 to the very youngest school ages. She has no more than probably 2 dozen children attending every day. Most every person in the class is LDS, so naturally most of the class is based on reading from the Book of Mormon, alongside the other textbooks. I was just thinking how different all of that is from today's school system. Today, in at least the school I go to, there are a few thousand students. There are dozens of teachers and classrooms, and the size of the school itself is, compared to what was described in the novel, huge. My school has teachers for different subjects, each with sufficient schooling for their job, a full-size, working cafeteria, and who knows how many facilities and recreational things for teams and activities. The teacher in the book only knew what she had learned and taught to herself. She was naturally good at what she did, but still had little of no schooling, and definitely no degrees for it. How different education is now than it was back then. Not only in its appearance, but like I said before; with the Book of Mormon being part of the curriculum, you know that we have gone a long way from what people used to have. Given, Nauvoo was an LDS community, but still. Today we can't hardly even mention the word 'Mormon' in school without penalties. Its crazy. It makes me grateful for what I have today. For my opportunities to learn a lot and expand my knowledge. I guess that’s just something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home