What's a Blog?

My new and improved Bloggular Device. For the future.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

English Response: Martyrdom

For my English class, I am required to write a one page response to something that was discussed in class that day. We are to turn in our typed response the next class period. At this point, I have written four responses. I just finished my fourth one, and I have come to a conclusion: these responses are beginning to define me as a person. I really dig deep when writing these, and I am beginning to understand myself a little better. It is for this reason that I have decided to post my responses whenever I feel that they are worth the public reading. It shall be an ongoing thing, and I hope it brings people some enlightenment and self-relfection.

Here, my dear readers, is my fourth response. Enjoy.

Martyrdom

If somebody asked me what I would be willing to die for, I could answer them in once sentence. That sentence comes from a Savage Garden song, called Affirmation. Ahem… “I believe in love surviving death into eternity.” I believe that if faced with the situation, I would die for anything that I loved enough, both people and ideas. I can say now -- from the safety of my computer chair -- that I would die for something I believe in, because I believe that love really does survive death into eternity. I believe that everything that we have in this life that we truly love will follow us into eternity after we die, especially our family, friends, and faith. I believe that if we are willing to die for something we believe in or something that we love, then we will be rewarded for our actions accordingly.

Dictionary.com defines a ‘martyr’ as, “a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause.” In my Church’s history, there have been many martyrs. Our first Latter-Day prophet, Joseph Smith Jr. was a martyr himself. I believe that the many people throughout history who have died for this cause have been rewarded after their death. If I were in same situations as these Latter-Day Saints before me were in, I would be happy to die for my faith in Christ’s Church. My love for my church would survive my death into eternity, and I would be rewarded for my sacrifice. It would be far better for me to accept death for this cause than it would be to denounce my faith and live a full lifetime.

I hope that I would have the courage to actually go through with what I have stated above. I know that it would be a very difficult thing to do, but if I had to die for someone I love, or for my faith, I am sure I would gladly do it. Thank you Savage Garden, for you help with my response!

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

wow, you're amazing! i hope i could have that courage too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home