What's a Blog?

My new and improved Bloggular Device. For the future.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Stem Cells: The Other White Meat

K, so this is my first post in ages. I just got on Google News because I was afraid that I don't know enough current events for the AP tests coming up, and I read an article about a proposed bill that would eliminate the restrictions to do stem cell research that Bush put up in 2001. The new Democratic Congress thinks they will be able to pass this bill with the majority that they have now. Well, the reason I am writing this post, is to state my opinion on the matter. Take it for what it is; my own, unbiased opinion. Argue it with me if you want, smile and nod, or just go on with your merry lives. Just don't criticize the way I think.

Reading this article, I got two impressions:

First, I thought about how great curing certain ailments and medical conditions would be. I mean, doing this research could ultimately cure my good friend Thatcher of his "diabetus". Yes, we couldn't make fun of him anymore for it; no more poking fun at his regular shots, asking the question, "does that sting?" just to irk him. No more snide comments about the 5 dozen bunches of bananas that he eats every day. No more peanut-butter blood. Shame for us, less hassle and longer, more comfortable life for Chris. Boo/Hooray. Mostly hooray :D

People worldwide could be cured of terrible things that they have to deal with every day. They would no longer have to accept that there is no cure for their ailments. They could live with hope of someday being cured, and living normal (medically speaking) lives.

But second, I thought about what the cost of this would be. One stem cell could save the lives of who knows how many people who are constantly living in a state of agony or crapped out blood sugar. The only problem comes when you look at what a stem cell really is. Are stem cells alive? Is there some form of life in that cell? Is using that stem cell, and killing it, murder?

That is where the debate comes in. Some people say that the cell is nothing but a bit of bio-matter, which could potentially grow into something some day. I think its murder. I believe that there is life in that cell, and that the mere fact that that cell will be a baby human some day, makes the use of that cell murder. Even though it would be for a good cause--to potentially save another's life--it would only be killing another living person to do so.

My view of abortion is the same. Its a baby. Let it live. Killing it is the same crime as dropping a baby of a balcony, as Michael Jackson is wont to do. Its murder, plain and simple. How can killing a baby be justified? I can only think of maybe three rare cases in which is would be. In the case of rape, if the fetus didn't have any chance of living anyway, or if having the baby would kill the mother, then abortion can be considered (maybe not even in the last one though...one life for another).

I guess this point of view is somewhat Republican, if I'm not mistaken. Even if its not, thats my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. I hope that Congress won't be able to pass the Bill, because doing so would only be the murder of who knows how many people. Yay for Bush and his stand for morality :D

6 Comments:

At 7:55 PM , Blogger CJThatcher said...

The problem with stem cells isn't necessarily that the stem cell itself is life, but rather that the easiest way for us to get stem cells is to take them from fetuses/embryos. (Not sure of the difference, so sue me). Ya know, the little babies before they're really babies? They're chalk full of them. Stem cells exist other places as well, just not as plentifully.

The debate isn't about stem cells themselves, cause everybody likes stem cells. (At least they should). It's about not funding embryonic stem cell research (the kind that requires the use of not-quite-babies).

I'm no expert, but I find it all very interesting. Especially considering I have a stake in it all. A brazilian university very recently published a study regarding the stem cells and type one diabetics. Interesting stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger Frissa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:21 PM , Blogger Frissa said...

I have to admit that this topic doesn't really tap into my moral sense. I don't know enough about stem cells to know if there is life in them or not.
But I also hope that this bill doesn't pass. My first thought after reading that article was, "Why spend our time and money on research that may or may not help cure people from a life-long (and sometimes painful) disease when we could spend it in an area where we are sure we could have success and help people in need."
There are people in other countries that are still dying from the common cold and starvation. It seems silly for us to invest millions (if not billions) or dollars on this research when we could be using the cures and vaccinations we already have to help people.
Don't get me wrong, I would love a cure for diabetes. Several of my family members are diabetic but they get along alright. They are still living and active. They can still enjoy life.
Why not help the people we already can who really are in danger of dying.
Sorry if I sound harsh but that was just how I felt.

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Okay. But consider this:

In vitro clinics discard (read: kill) hundreds upon thousands of fetuses every year. Potential little babies. Isn't that murder? Okay. Well, if they're going to be discarded anyway, and there's no hope for them, why not use them for stem cell research? It makes sense to me.

And to Marissa's comment: stem cells don't "may" cure anything. They're pretty much a sure thing for lots of debilitating and fatal diseases. They can probably cure everything eventually. The common cold, sure. Cancer? It's possible. Maybe even AIDS. Seriously.

Think about it. Stem cells are the future.

 
At 5:41 PM , Blogger Meliss said...

I am totally for it. I have 3 diabetics in my family. My aunt died cause she didn't take care of her diabetes, my uncle died cause he didn't take care of his and my cousin probably has a new kidney cause he didn't take care of his diabetes. I know tonz of people who have diabetes. One of which won't take care of himself, and I havn't seen him for about 1 and a half months now. And not to meantion, I know two people who are completely blind cause they didn't take care of thier diabetes. Its really hard to take care of one's diabetes by them self. Its almost impossible to do it by one's self. I know adults who end up in the hospital because they accidently mess up with an insulin dose, or they dropped too low too quick and no one was around to notice. And just ask Thatcher how hard it is to think when your at 35 or 375. Its not easy. So for all those out there surviving diabetes, suffering from diabetes, I want this bill not to pass. We need stem cell research, and ya know what, there are other places you can get em. My mom said that you can retreive them from the umbellical cord, and she is a nurse in the LDS hospital NICU. The place where all the sick infants go. And she knows alot more than I do on the whole subject.

I espceially don't want my brother's lives to be shortened because they have made too many mistakes.

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger The Warrior said...

Hello,


I found this blog via Nathan's. I have to come out with Kyle on this one. He's right, it's murder, and never justifiable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home